Tuesday, August 25, 2009

out of the mouths of...

It's her first month in this country and she's the only one fasting from sun-up to sundown for Ramadan. As we talked about her day, she asked why I looked so sad. Surprised by her perceptiveness, I told her a bit of my journey this past year. She murmured her sympathies and asked if I had any children living with me. When I told her of my first grandchild and a daughter's wedding and my youngest son now living on his own, she expressed even deeper sympathy- she is no stranger to loneliness- unmarried, with all her siblings killed in the Iraqi war. Her final response- "Allah... is ...errr...how do you say it?"
"God?"
"Yes! God is with you"

Thank you, God, for reminding me of your unfailing love and presence in this most surprising way. I hear you.

No comments:

Post a Comment