Friday, March 7, 2008

Standing Ovations

I've never really been in the presence of a "Great One", have you?

I wonder if I'd know what to do- much as I wonder whether to shake hands or kiss a cheek when greeting one of my new refugee friends...

This past weekend, at the Leading Women 2008 Conference, something repeatedly happened that was totally unscripted (imagine trying to script "now everyone will...":) and has rarely happened at the previous 4 conferences- all of us spontaneously vaulted to our feet and burst into applause!

What caused such a reaction? That's what I've been pondering.

One could attribute it to decorum and good training. It did start when we were introduced to Mississauga's Mayor Hazel McCallion and at 87 years of age, her fiesty spirit does warrant recognition. But to what would you attribute all the other eruptions?

I think it had to do with our theme: DARE. We were in the presence of 'great ones' who dared in ways that demanded a physical response to the emotions welling up within us. The living stories of Bibiana, Karyn (500 rejection letters?!), Kaarina, Wendy, Joyce (just to name a few) ignited something in us- perhaps a culture of courage?

But, I think it was much more than that. I believe we were in the presence of THE GREAT ONE. It was His presence and greatness that we saw in each other's lives, and THAT demanded a physical response. As the songwriter declares, "I stand in awe of You!" God looked amazing in the lives of the Great Women that shared their stories and their lives with us at Leading Women 2008.

May it continue to cause us to leap to our feet exclaiming, "How great is our God!" and send us out to ignite a culture of courage as we follow Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment