Monday, March 17, 2008

Departures and Arrivals

How do you say good-bye to a good friend?!

I've only been here a couple of months and it seems too soon to face the reality of grief. I am missing my new friends who've "moved on" or "graduated" from Welcome Home. Welcome Home is a short-term housing community. We offer a place to live for a year and a supportive environment in which to adjust to life in Canada. But, from day one we're preparing our new friends for the day they'll move out- not unlike my young adult children.

That's why I'm both sad and glad at the same time. I miss sharing life with Mel, Mohammed, Hirut, Lul and Dani's family. At the same time, I'm proud of their independence and accomplishments in this very difficult year since they came to Canada. When they come to mind, I pray for their ongoing assimilation and their spiritual well-being.

And, I'm eager to see who God is bringing to Welcome Home! What country will they come from? What unique struggles and barriers will they need to overcome? How will God provide? I learn so much from each one as we share life together. I'm also gratified (and more committed than ever) to think of the programs we've recently put in place to help each one: Goal-Setting and Hosting.

One of the major needs a resident has is finding long term housing at the close of their time at Welcome Home. Would you pray with me for a "housing expert" who could come alongside each resident in their 10th month with us, connecting them to the possibilities in KW? And, if you're interested in becoming that person, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment