Sunday, December 26, 2010

O Come Emmanuel!

"O Come Emmanuel" Video
These last few days, my daughter and I have watched an eclectic assortment of movies.  We started with Crash, since the library called to say my turn had finally come.  Then we enjoyed a Christmas Day viewing of The most excellent King's Speech, which reminded me of the other British historical movie, Amazing Grace, which I own, so we had to end the day watching that!  Tonight's pasttime was watching the newly released Darfur, most sobering of all.

As I reflected on what we'd seen, there was the common thread of horrid things that we human beings do to each other.  From the relatively harmless torture inflicted on a stutterer, to the senseless genocide taking place around our planet, even as I celebrate this Season of "Peace on Earth".  After seeing Darfur, I want to hate those who are attacking the African Sudanese people.  And, I want to be indignant at those who built their economy on slave labour.  Even worse, I want to imagine that somehow I am better or at least more tolerant, as a good Canadian should be.

I'm really glad I suffered through the sobering darkness of Crash first of all.  You see, the resounding message I heard was that none of us are above racism and intolerance.  So, along with captive, downtrodden, broken people all over the world, I join in crying, "O Come, O Come Emmanuel!" to set ALL His people free.

No comments:

Post a Comment