Monday, January 24, 2011

Caregiver Syndrome

Caregiver syndrome... is a condition of exhaustion, anger, rage, or guilt that results from unrelieved caring for a chronically ill dependent. Wikipedia
 I've been experiencing aspects of this syndrome, but for a very different reason. You see, last year I started looking around for peers to connect with.  As a director of a shelter for refugees, my world is very large and very small.  I'm delighted that I now connect with an Ontario Shelter Providers Network.  And, I am so enriched by the connections I've made with fellow Refugee Ministry leaders across the globe.  And, I'm so much more enlightened by the daily updates I get from the Canadian Council for Refugees.  But, I struggle with increasing cynicism and despair.

That's when I remembered that fighting political battles is actually NOT what I was created for! That while I need to be aware and intercede, and use my voice where God opens doors, politics actually kill my spirit.  That the Body of Christ includes those who ARE called to take on the powers that be.  God often speaks through me through songs, and the other night I went to sleep humming "He's got the whole world in His hands."  Hmmmm...

So, thanks for the updates from Athens- in the midst of a horribly unjust system, I'm excited about the miraculous ways God is bringing refugees to Himself!  And, thanks for keeping me up to date regarding the changing Canadian laws which negatively affect the refugees I love.  And, thanks for providing a community of peers that have clues about preventing bed bugs, etc.  I'm really glad to broaden my world.

But, I'm called to this little house on King St East, where a wonderfully diverse group of refugees are being welcomed into a family, with a committed staff team and volunteers that just plain love Jesus.  For the sake of my own well-being and those I'm called to lead- I'm going to start with the little patch I've been given and change the world one room and one precious soul at a time.

(Painting by Ron Dicianni)

No comments:

Post a Comment