Monday, January 31, 2011

Since When Did Used Clothing Become Lucrative?

I love to reduce, reuse and recycle, and repair...now there's "redistribute".  An article I read suggests that
redistribute may become the "5th R" and become a key form of sustainable commerce.  It's part of the new movement to collaborative consumption.
I like this trend.

However... I have noticed that whereas I used to have to drive all over town wondering "now where did I see that donation bin??" with my bag of treasures, there is now a donation bin on almost every street corner!  Since I love to read almost anything in print, I'm one of those potential donors who actually reads the signs on the bins.  Sure, there's the usual "don't dump your furniture here!" and "clothing only!" but the fine print reveals what I believe we should pay attention to.

Check out WHO is going to profit from your worn-out, stretched out and/or in good condition but just doesn't fit anymore clothing.  I've seen an interesting array of groups, from Diabetes and Cancer Society, to Hindu and even cultish-sounding groups.  Even more disconcerting, are the bins that purport that "a portion of what is raised will go to support a charity".  Which charity, what portion? That could be anywhere from .001% upwards.

So, join the collaborative consumption movement and redistribute your stuff.  Just be discreet.

By the way, Welcome Home is the recipient of many wonderful donations of slightly used linens, winter clothing and household items.  Check out our newly formed Furniture Redistribution Project- a result of your generosity, Apple Self-Storage's donation of a unit, and an emerging team of volunteers- to see what God is doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment